Monday, July 21, 2008

Sharing from the pulpit: DISCIPLESHIP

Message by Andy Chew, photo by William Ting, posting by James Wong.

Pastor Law always reminds me of sharing life transformation experience. In many ways I am like you, probably more so for me as a young Christian - still searching for the right answers to the many questions about life and living. The Purpose Driven Life and the 40DOP campaign have helped me in my spiritual journey, because they helped me understand the word of God better. The power is in the word of God.

I am convinced that to grow spiritually, we need to fight against three enemies, (i) self, (ii) the world, (iii) the devil. It is always easy to identify the last two, but not the first. Don’t fight the world nor the devil, if you have not dealt with yourself - the Bible taught us that we are sinful in nature. There is no short cut in spiritual growth – I need to crucify the desire of my flesh.

"Counting the cost” – this is what accountant like me does best. The "Cross", is the "cost", the "price we pay". I am convinced that I cannot be a disciple by simply attending the Disciple course, or doing theological study, or going to the church or cell group. No, I need to pay the price to be one. I need to count the cost.

The first area I need to count is where it hurts most, i.e. my wallet. Another area I need to count my cost is my career. Another area I need to count my cost is my time. I am very busy with my work on week days, and on weekend I look forward to a much needed rest. To run BB, I need to commit my time, to supervise a bunch of highly energetic boys. Without focusing on myself, I found that I have a little less greed, a little less pride, a little less jealousy, and a little less bitterness. And God replaces that with a bit more generosity, a bit more humility, and a bit more joy.

All I’ve said above are things and events I can decide on my own. Those are trivial things. There are times when God allows things in our life that we have no control of. Rick Warren said God uses every circumstance in our life to help us grow. That circumstance for me was when Siew Yew was sick from Dec last year to April this year. What did I learn during that difficult period? The first thing I learned is that I don’t have the gift of healing. But God gave me something else. He gave me His love, channelled through the many brothers and sisters who are seated here today. The visiting, the prayer, the encouragement, the helping out with the children, and even the rebuking. He also gave me humility, so that when people rebuked me I can take it. God also showed me how precious are His gifts to me in Siew Yew and my children. When Siew Yew was frail and sick, I thought she might not be with me much longer. This really put into context all the foolish arguments we had in the past, driven by self-centredness over petty issues. Now I treasure her very much. Now, every move she makes, every breath she takes, every slumber she takes – they are all God’s blessings. She struggled to do all those simple things in life when she was sick. So, husbands and wives, bear with one another. If things are not working out, make it work! Just over 4 years ago, our marriage was under threat. Now we have just celebrated our 15th anniversary. If there’s anything standing between you and you spouse, take it all to Jesus. Make it work, for you and your children.

All honour and glory be unto Jesus. God bless and thank you.

No comments: