Monday, August 4, 2008

Sharing from the pulpit - EVANGELISM/MISSIONS

Message by Sii Ling. Photo by William Ting, posting by James Wong.

I never knew the importance and significance of MISSIONS until I participated in my church's local and overseas mission trips in 2004.

Five years ago when church leaders or pastors asked me to join a mission trip, I would give excuses such as I was very busy with my career; no time; didn’t have any talent to serve ; I had allergies; I suffered from land sickness; sleeping adaptability in a new place is a problem; frail health; not well-versed with the Bible etc.

The Great Commission of Jesus states:

“Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to do everything I have told you.” (Mathew 28: 19-20).

This Bible verse does not make sense to me. To me, evangelism is the sole duty or responsibility of the church pastors and missionaries because they are paid, or it only applies to those retired; those who are more holy; those who are rich enough not to work and so they have the time and they should do missions.

Besides I used my human mentality to think that I am an OKAY Christian. I observe the Ten Commandments; I attend church Sunday service: I also tithe and serve in a few ministries; I share my Christians faith with my family members and friends and relatives. I am satisfied that my family and friends are coming to Christ. God should be pleased with my life.

However God broke my low human mentality on the significance of Missions through sermons and Christian songs. Pastors often reminded the church Christians to join at least one mission trip before we go and see the Almighty God one day; and we should spend at least one year of our life-time to do mission locally or overseas.

My first church mission trip to Ulu Kapit was in 2004. Then it was followed by a Medical mission trip to Cambodia in 2005, Mukah mission trip in 2006, and Pa Adang mission trip in 2007. Those were the most meaningful spiritual breakthroughs that I have ever encountered and it became a turning point in my life.

Each mission trip that I joined, there are precious spiritual lessons that I learn. I learned to fast and pray, and intercede for the team members and ask God to unveil my spiritual blindness in His leading. From the local Ulu Kapit and Mukah mission trips, I experienced close fellowship, love, joy and unity among fellow Christians. The trips were fun, enjoyable and easy to conduct.

God knows our limitations and physical fitness, it is our heart that He is looking for to take interest and partnership in His work- to bring the Good News to the unbelievers as we are the messengers of God’s love and purposes to the world. Most importantly, missions can only be done during our time on earth.

No comments: